Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia, Congressional District VA-06
Jay Grant, Deputy Director, Community Development Division
Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
“Improving access to affordable, single-family housing has long been a major need in Rockbridge County. With this latest grant, we have once again been able to leverage local investment of time, funds and hard work into a substantial cash award. Now we can provide infrastructure for a whole new series of dwellings at Greenhouse Village.”
Kerrs Creek (County) Supervisor
There is a significant need in Rockbridge County for safe, decent and affordable housing for low- to moderate income (LMI) households. Phase 2 is improving living conditions of twelve (12) LMI households through the provision of street, water and sewer activities (CDBG funds) and single-family housing production activities (non-CDBG funds). This phase follows a similar Phase 1 project in which eight (8) LMI households were improved.
- To date, Phase 2 has provided 6 LMI households with safe, decent, affordable and energy efficient housing at a reduced cost because of the CDBG and SERCAP infrastructure funding. Six additional LMI households will benefit upon the completion of Phase 2. Phase 1 provided 8 LMI households with safe, decent, affordable and energy efficient housing at a reduced cost because of the CDBG and SERCAP infrastructure funding. Groups served (aggregate, so far): 25 LMI persons, 8 female-headed LMI households, 1 elderly LMI household, and 1 disabled LMI household.
- Project provided a unique educational experience for the local high school students enrolled in the building trades department. They build one modular house a year in two sections, which are then transported by truck to the project site and set on the foundation by crane. Each house built by the students has a foundation stone noting the house. Something they can show their kids in the future. See video.
- To date, 13 houses have been added to the county’s tax rolls.
- Employment opportunities were developed to area individuals in the building trades.
Project Type Infrastructure, Housing
- CDBG $432,828.00
- Private (homeowners) $6,251.00
- Perkins & Orrison, Inc (in-kind) $4,500.00
- Rockbridge Area for Habitat for Humanity (USDA/RD) $1,110,315.50
- Habitat for Humanity of Virginia (DPA) $64,421.00
- Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project $62,510.00
- Central Shenandoah Planning District Commission (DPA) $2,146.38
*Plus, a total of $1,640,406.14 in Phase 1 — $288,936 (CDBG) and $1,351,470.14 (non-CDBG) and $30,000 in CDBG planning funds.
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
- County of Rockbridge, Virginia (grantee)
- Perkins & Orrison, Inc (PE)
- Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project
- Central Shenandoah Planning District Commission (grant management)
- Randy Hostetter Excavating LLC (infrastructure general contractor)
- Orrison Tree Service (landscaping)
- Rockbridge Area Habitat for Humanity (developer)
- Rockbridge County High School’s Building Trades Department students (builders)
- Household members over 17 and 100’s of volunteers