The mission of COSCDA is to:
- advocate for the common community development goals of the states;
- develop policies and recommendations on community development issues;
- keep members informed about federal and state administrative and legislative developments that affect members;
- enhance the capacity of states to deal effectively and comprehensively with community development issues;
- ensure the availability of community development expertise to members;
- encourage and assist states in the development and implementation of effective community development programs; and
- facilitate the exchange of information about programs and achievements among states and act as a clearinghouse for community development organizations.